The Fire Axe is a slow, powerful melee weapon. It is the fourth most powerful melee weapon available in terms of single shot damage, after the the DLC Scythe, the unlockable Dwarfs!? Axe, and the Claymore. The Fire Axe has an overall damage per second comparable to the Katana while costing half as much. The Fire Axe can be found in any default random weapon spawns and allows the same run speed bonus as the other blades while wielded.
The berserker perk receives bonuses for the use of a Fire Axe. It has a x1.25 headshot multiplier.
|Level||Discount||Price||Sale value||Hit damage||Fire mode DPS|
The Fire Axe used to cost £150, a price which is nearly always within the players price range. The sell value was originally £100, but was increased to £112 to match the 75% returns value of other weapons. As of the 13/12/12 Christmas Update, the fire axe base cost is £1000, but the Berserker now gets discounts for this weapon. As with all melee weapons there are no upkeep costs.
There are two modes of attacking with the Fire Axe, controlled by the primary and alternate fire buttons. The primary fire function is a horizontal slash, and the secondary is a powerful overhead vertical swing. The power of either function is enough to stun targets, allowing for easy one on one battles with any specimen susceptible to stunning. The alternate fire function has approximately a third higher damage per second than the primary function, making it more useful for dealing with tougher specimens. It possesses a 1.25x headshot damage multiplier compared to the Katana's 1.1x, allowing it to stun Scrakes and effectively decapitate most targets.
The Fire Axe's alt-fire attack has a specific distance with which to inflict a headshot with; learning this range is crucial when fighting aggressive specimens at higher difficulties, especially coupled with its low rate of attack. However, the head-shot multiplier of this weapon makes it ideal for killing Scrakes and Fleshpounds, as you can stun-lock the former and can kite the latter at maximum range. If you are missing headshots with this weapon, you're probably too close.
As of the 13/12/12 christmas update, the Fire Axe has an area of effect meaning that the player can attack multiple nearby specimens with one swing.
It takes the Fire Axe about 15 primary-fire (14, if head pre-damaged), 9 alter-fire headchops to remove the head of a 6-player, Hell on Earth (HoE) Fleshpound. When decapped from primary swing hits, the headless Fleshpound will walk around aimlessly and try to score a hit, the body will fall after a few seconds. It takes 5 alternate-fire headchops to kill a 6-player, HoE Scrake.
Advantages and Disadvantages
- Often found lying around the maps and can be sold for a hefty price of £750 by off-perk;
- Reliably decapitates lesser specimens even off-perk;
- Approximately 13.6% higher headshot multiplier and 34% higher base damage than the Katana;
- A level 5 Berserker can stun a Scrake by alt fire headshot from front;
- A level 2+ Berserker can stun Scrakes with alt fire backstabs;
- Can mini flinch Scrakes off-perk for flinch combos;
- When offperk, alt-fire can stun Scrakes with a headshot from their behind;
- Primary attack has a moderate arc;
- Primary attack will not enrage a Fleshpound lit on fire upon a headshot;
- Offers speedbonus onperk like many other Berserker melee weapons;
- Rank 6 Berserkers spawn with it;
- Lighter than Claymore and Scythe;
- Resulting 52% higher headshot damage allowing stun-lock Scrakes with headshots on high perk levels;
- Will not rage a Fleshpound with a single head-hit on perk if performed once every 2 seconds.
- Weak against stronger specimens (like the Fleshpound or Patriarch);
- Slower than the Katana, hard to sweep trash when busy with a big specimen;
- Slow swing speed makes it almost impossible to chain ZED time;
- Melee range and slow swing frequency requires a sidearm to pair with;
- Alternate attack slows you down for 80%;
- Damage is weaker than the Claymore, Scythe or Dwarfs!? Axe;
- Shorter reach than Claymore, Scythe or Katana
- When cornered slow swing speed will not give any recovery space;
- Moderately heavy, at 5 blocks;
- Forces user to close into melee range to deal damage.
|Equipment by perk|
|Weapon damage table|