Achievements in infoboxes
There isn't any guidance for which achievements belong in an infobox, but I'm not fond of having achievements attached to a weapon that isn't needed to earn them. Is there a particular reason for which you'd like to keep them? I'll ask Balthazar (another KF wiki regular) for input when he's online. By the way, thanks for performing the much needed update on the list of official maps and other articles. :) —Weldindisdowa T/C 06:31, 28 January 2011 (UTC) P.S. Be careful where you use "it's"!
- Well, I figured I would add achievements to all weapons that CAN achieve them - whether it's advisable or not in-game is another question...but from what I could tell, all the achievements I added are obtainable to the weapons I attached them to. If you have evidence otherwise, then feel free to change them, but I reckon it will be confusing for people if they HAVE obtained those achievements with those weapons, but our wiki does not reflect that. Oh, and you're welcome for the update, I was happy to add all that crucial info. I was just surprised how lacking it was for what it was for xD. Anyways, I don't think I'll make myself a regular on here. I just like popping in and out of wikis and sprucing them up.
- AND SORRY ABOUT THE it's! I was copypasting, and I just didn't really feel like changing them...
- --GrammarCommunist 03:27, 1 February 2011 (UTC)
- Why would it be confusing for people who have obtained the achievements with those weapons? What about people who obtained them without those weapons? If we were to add achievements for every weapon that can be used to earn them, then we would add Keep Those Sneakers Off the Floor!, It's What's Inside That Counts, Quarter Pounder With Ease, etc. to every explosive weapon infobox. Furthermore, a player can earn Dignity for the Dead, Thin-Ice Pirouette, I Like To Watch, Straight Rush, Death To The Mad Scientist, etc. with a single weapon. In fact, I can earn every single Normal difficulty achievement with a Chainsaw alone, and every Kill X specimens achievement with a 9mm pistol. It wouldn't be helpful to load every weapon infobox with every achievement that can be earned with the weapon. I'd rather only add achievements for weapons that are necessary to earn them. —Weldindisdowa T/C 04:54, 1 February 2011 (UTC)
- Well, no, I was only thinking of just putting achievements that pertain to a specific weapon-type (like the explosives one you mentioned), and keeping the 'global kill count' achievements out of the picture, not adding them to every weapon. See, I'm just looking at achievements that require a specific weapon (or group of weapons), and adding to all those that apply - I agree it would be bothersome and wasteful to add achievements that pertain to every single weapon in the game, but we can't just keep achievements like Can't Catch Me to just the Fire Axe or Katana - you CAN use any melee weapon, and I think that our wiki should reflect that.
- THAT, or we could have separate pages for each achievement, which could outline the required weapon(s), tips on how to achieve them, etc. ... just a thought.
- --GrammarCommunist 05:04, 1 February 2011 (UTC)
- I was hoping to keep "Can't Catch Me" on the Gorefast infobox alone. Infoboxes don't need to reflect every achievement possibility among weapon classes; the Achievements article should suffice. As more achievements get added to KF, it becomes more and more redundant having the same list of achievements in every explosive or melee weapon infobox. I also dislike the idea of having such complicated criteria for achievements in infoboxes. —Weldindisdowa T/C 05:22, 1 February 2011 (UTC)
- Hmm...you do make a fair point. We don't want the infoboxes overflowing with achievements... but, then, what IS the criteria for achievements in infoboxes? Should an achievement be in the infobox of the weapon that's most suited for obtaining it? If we can make that clear, then I think we can come to an agreement. --GrammarCommunist 05:27, 1 February 2011 (UTC)
- I'm proposing that an achievement belongs to an equipment infobox only if that piece of equipment is necessary for obtaining the achievement. One problem with adding an achievement to what's "most suited" is that people can argue over which weapon is the best when there isn't any real answer. —Weldindisdowa T/C 05:35, 1 February 2011 (UTC)
- I can agree to that, though I COULD argue that any melee weapon is 'necessary' to complete an achievement that requires a special task done with any melee weapon, I think it'd be best if we stick with your proposal, for simplicity sake. --GrammarCommunist 05:38, 1 February 2011 (UTC)
Not any melee weapon is necessary to complete a melee weapon achievement such as "Can't Catch Me". It's true that some melee weapon is necessary, but not all of them. —Weldindisdowa T/C 05:49, 1 February 2011 (UTC)
- Ah...yes, I see your point. It might be even more confusing if the achievement was on all of them, making people think you need to use ALL of the weapons. Hm... I guess I'm just seeing if we could get more in-depth with each achievement - as tedious as it sounds, it may clear up some of the questions people have when trying to earn them. Perhaps more detailed information on the Achievements page itself? --GrammarCommunist 06:02, 1 February 2011 (UTC)
- A how-to section does sound like a good idea, I can't see why Balthazar would be against it - did he have plans of his own? Also, a particular achievement I'd like to see more detail about is the new map achievements. You know, Fruit Cake, Pound Cake, etc.; what maps do you have to complete to obtain these? Perhaps, as well, the Dot Of Doom achievement - can you miss? Do the number of headshots in a row transfer between waves? It's little things like that that seem insignificant to add by themselves, but I'm probably not the only one asking. GrammarCommunist 06:26, 1 February 2011 (UTC)
- I don't know what Balthazar had in mind, so I'll ask again when he's online, and we'll try to figure it out. Thanks for your help; we need more people to maintain these articles. I'm also surprised how few people updated the wiki since the Christmas update. —Weldindisdowa T/C 06:52, 1 February 2011 (UTC)
- Ah, yeah. I would've thought people would be all over a wiki for updates about that, but I guess KF is just too obscure to the public eye... Oh well. By the way, I had a few questions of my own: specifically, if you could link me to any pages that could use work; what kind of timezone are you in; and when WAS the last time Balthazar was on? I can't seem to find his last contribution... GrammarCommunist 06:58, 1 February 2011 (UTC) P.S. I really do admire how much work you've put into templates and translating - it's unfortunate I'm not up to par with wiki coding :c
- Special:Contributions/Balthazar lists his contributions. I'm in UTC-5. The maps that were added in the Incendiary and Christmas updates need content. Someone needs to thoroughly verify that each article is up to date (see the 1016 changelog). A user recently added "class specific tactics" to the Fleshpound and Scrake articles, but I haven't really had the time to think about everything that was written. I appreciate your enthusiasm to help. :) —Weldindisdowa T/C 07:17, 1 February 2011 (UTC) P.S. Don't worry about wiki code; I can usually handle it or assist.
Ah, thanks, I'll have to remember that page. I think I'm in the same timezone...heh, it's pretty late, actually xD. I'll get to work on checking those out soon, and going over that changelog. And thanks for your help! I just like helping out with things I love to do; KF is just such a good game, it's the least I can do to help other's enjoy it. GrammarCommunist 07:56, 1 February 2011 (UTC)